At Proofpoint, we have a passion for protecting people, data, and brands from today’s advanced threats and compliance risks. We hire the best people in the business to:
- Build and enhance our proven security platform
- Blend innovation and speed in a constantly evolving cloud architecture
- Analyze new threats and offer deep insight through data-driven intel
- Collaborate with customers to help solve their toughest security challenges
We are singularly devoted to helping our customers protect what matters most. That’s why we’re a leader in next- generation cybersecurity—and why more than half of the Fortune 100 trust us as a security partner.
As a Proofpoint Threat Researcher, you will perform malware analysis and spend time searching through data looking for threats, analyzing them, and making that information meaningful to our customers. You’ll be a part of a team of dynamic and creative threat researchers focused on finding malware, understanding how it works and using that knowledge to improve our products. This role is responsible for creating customer-facing and internal deliverables as the first researcher fully dedicated to our Premium Threat Intelligence Services offering.
What you bring to the team
- Analyze malware and threat data from internal and external sources, both self-directed and in response to customer inquiries.
- Analyze threat campaigns, author customer-specific threat reports, and publish research results around specific verticals or geographic locations.
- Maintain a list of current events, threats, and other information that our customers should be aware of.
- Report and disseminate information to our most important customers on threats that may affect them, such as emerging malware, security developments and insightful summaries of current events.
- Collaborate on research projects with the threat research team..
- Leverage our threat database of millions of malware samples and produce data and reports that protect our customers.
- Work effectively as part of a remote team using chat, video chat and conference calls
- A well-rounded understanding of the malware and information security threat landscape. You should love this field and have a passion for learning.
- The ability to make a hypothesis based on your threat research, prove it using our data, and communicate that information to our customers.
- Present complex technical topics to senior managers, our customers and internally.
- Creative ideas around threat research and using big data to manifest them
- Ability to comfortably communicate directly with customers and the security community.
- Experience with Python, MongoDB, or other scripting languages.
- Demonstrable understanding of internet threat landscape
- 3-5 years experience with malware analysis
- Motivation to dig through internal and open source data to find threat information and use it to provide value to customers
- Deep curiosity and a drive to understand malware and how it works
Nice to have
- Information security community experience; a blog, website, published papers, conference presentations, or other experience on the public side of the security field
- Familiarity with Suricata or Snort
- Familiarity with Cuckoo Sandbox
- Amazing presentation skills
- Experience working remotely for a large information security vendor
- Located in a US timezone, available during US business hours
- Travel: 10%
- Location: Anywhere in USA, work from home/remote acceptable
As a customer focused and driven-to-win organization with leading edge products, there are many exciting reasons to join the Proofpoint team. We believe in hiring the best the brightest and cultivating a culture of collaboration and appreciation. As we continue to grow and expand globally, we understand that hiring the right people and treating them well is key to our success! We are a multi-national company with locations in 10 countries, with each location contributing to Proofpoint’s amazing culture!